Monday, April 2, 2012

Sunday Sampler on Monday

Saturday morning, I tried a new recipe and it was wonderful!  Cocoa buttermilk biscuits with brown sugar cinnamon butter were just what we needed for breakfast.  Who doesn't love chocolate for breakfast...lunch...dinner...snacks!?!?  One of my favorite breakfasts as a child (and as an adult!) was chocolate toast.  Granny made it for us when we would visit at breakfast time, and I make it for my kids now.  Actually, we have chocolate for breakfast most Saturday mornings!  Chocolate gravy, chocolate milk, and chocolate chip pancakes find their way to our breakfast table (and sometimes dinner) quite often!  So I was all for a new chocolate breakfast recipe to add to the rotation!  Try it...you won't regret it!


How to Make Chocolate Toast

Spread butter on two pieces of white bread.  Be generous with the butter.  Use only real butter and white bread.  It's chocolate toast!  Why would you even try to make this good for you with margarine and wheat bread?  And, actually, margarine isn't good for you anyway but I won't go into that!
Combine 4 teaspoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cocoa in a shaker.  I have an old salt shaker.  We keep a cocoa and sugar mix all of the time.  You can make as much as you want just remember 4 parts sugar to 1 part cocoa.  (Actually, this is the ratio Mom likes.  If you like a richer cocoa taste, 3 to 1 is good too!)
Sprinkle cocoa mixture evenly over buttered bread.  Not too thick but you want all of the butter covered.  Toast in a toaster oven or under a broiler until the butter has saturated the cocoa mixture and it is beginning to bubble.  Remove from oven and serve with a tall glass of cold chocolate milk or orange juice.  No other drink pairs better with chocolate toast! 


No comments:

Post a Comment