Saturday night we celebrated J's birthday with our family. We had smoked brisket and ribs, baked beans, two kinds of potatoes, and garlic bread. I made a few hot dogs for some of the younger kids, J included. We ate on foil pie pans and had jars of tea and lemonade to drink. I made all of the food labels and the birthday banner.
We set up tables covered in brown craft paper and I used some brown packing paper (it came with our hula hoop compliments of amazon.com) to put down the center of the tables. The point was for it to look like rope. We borrowed lanterns from a friend but didn't need to light them because it stayed light long enough to have the party. Everyone brought lawn chairs so we didn't have to gather or rent chairs.
We had cowboy cookies and sweet nothins again along with birthday cake. Mom and I made the cake. I did a bing search for western birthday cakes and got some ideas then adapted the ideas to work for us. Mom baked and crumb coated. I decorated. Mom also had the clever idea to use chocolate pocky sticks for the fence. It turned out super cute and was much easier that piping one with icing. And besides the cowboy the chocolate sticks were J's favorite part!
We had Hershey's kisses and mini Hershey candy bars wrapped with a thank you message to send home with guests.
We had a great time visiting and eating while watching the kids play football, swing on the horse swing, and play in the western town. I am so happy we had good weather and were able to have the party in our back yard. It was a lot of fun!
Wagon, denim, bandanas, and lanterns borrowed from friends
Candy wrappers, cowboy hats, sherrif badges, party favors from Oriental Trading
Food labels, birthday banner, chuckwagon sign made by me
Metal cutouts made by Seth
Games, Western town, and some other ideas from here, here, and here
Bandana and denim bunting made by Mamaw
Hondo Lane (Hondo):"Yup. The end of a way of life. Too bad. It's a good way. Wagons forward! Yo!"
John T. Chance (Rio Bravo):"Sorry don't get it done, Dude."
Cranberry Holiday Simmer Pot
13 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment