Monday, February 27, 2012

A Week of Seuss!

When I was teaching first grade, spring was my favorite.  I liked to teach semi-thematically (if that's a word) and all of the fun themes were in the spring.  Not that I don't love fall, Halloween, Thansgiving, and Christmas but after so many holidays it was always fun to jump head first into spring starting with Dr. Seuss.
I covered my walls in characters from his books and we read one book a day for about 7 days.  Each day included some activity to go along with the book.  We always ended the unit with Green Eggs and Ham and our snack for that day was, of course, green eggs and ham.  Now that I am a SAHM, I get to share my love of Dr. Seuss with my children. 

Source
We began today with Hop on Pop.  This book is perfect for younger children because it has fewer words, lots of repetition, and they can help read along.  I copied picture cards from Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Letter Name Alphabetic Spellers.  J isn't a speller yet but the picture cards from the word family sorts worked great for rhyming practice.  I cut out the pictures and labeled them.  I chose one from each word family to create a header and then let him sort the rest of the cards with words that rhyme with them.  I had to help a little by saying some of the words out loud so he could hear the rhymes but he did pretty good after the first few. 




I also found this initial letter/picture matching game to use today.  I cut out the pictures and he had to match them with the letter with their beginning sound.  It was the first time we have really talked about vowel sounds so it was a great way to introduce some of those letter sounds. 


When I was teaching, our big activity was making lists of rhyming words.  I had about ten words written on butcher paper and the kids helped me fill the paper with words that rhymed.  It was always neat to see what they came up with.


"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."  ~Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment