No...not for us. But everyone we know started school today. I always feel a bit sad when I hear the teachers talk of getting rooms and lessons prepared. I can still remember the joy of having my classroom clean and ready for first graders. The smell of new crayons and sharpened pencils waiting in new red and blue school boxes is still engrained in my senses. I understand the anxiety of having 25 students and at 2:00 still not knowing how at least one of them is getting home that afternoon. Then there is the relief when you know that all 25 students made it to their car, bus, afterschool program safely and you did the best you could that day even though all you talked about were the rules and the classroom now smells like smelly feet!
No...today we woke up a little before eight and had our breakfast, made the beds, and picked up a little around the house. Sweet K went down for her morning nap. J and I played a few games, worked on our letters, and practiced spelling his name. We had lunch in town and bought groceries. Then we spent the afternoon at Mamaw's. And even though some days I miss the hustle and bustle of teaching and the love of those sweet first graders, I am so blessed to be able to stay at home with my own precious babies. It was a perfect day!
Thank you to all the teachers who have worked so hard to make today go as smoothly as possible. Thank you for spending your days teaching and loving children. Your job is not easy and you aren't told enough how much you are appreciated! My sweet friends in Vilonia...I thought about you today and miss you all! Have a great year!
The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called "truth." ~Dan Rather
Modern cynics and skeptics... see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing. ~John F. Kennedy
Cranberry Holiday Simmer Pot
12 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment